23 July 2009

2 Week Follow Up

Length: 21in 50th percentile
Weight: 7lbs 11oz 10th percentile
Head Circ: 37cm 50th percentile

We went to Ava's 2 week follow up (she is actually 3 weeks old) and she's doing great! She has gained abt a lb since she was born-FINALLY a kid that eats! and is getting stronger and more alert all the time. We got a referral for the geneticists but when I called to make the appt they don't have any availability until this time next year-Wow! They must be busy. So we won't know more about the genetic part of things until then. She also has mrks on her forehead, eye, and nose that I thought was bruising but it hasn't gone away so I asked the dr about it and she said it was an 'Angel kiss'. It is just thin skin that you can see the capillaries through. It will go away as she gets older. I'm pretty sure my sister who passed away was the one that gave it to her! Just a good luck kiss on the way out of heaven right? =)
I said I would update on her arms and how that is all going. When she was born everything was pretty much as we suspected as far as the length and number of fingers on each arm. When they laid her on my tummy after she was born we noticed that one of her fingers on her left arm (they were both tiny-I will post pics) was just hanging by a thread pretty much. It turns out that it wasn't functional so they decided to remove it. We cried for a little bit about the loss but were just thankful that everything else was ok. Other than that it is good. Her right arm is about half the length of a normal arm with 2 fingers on it and her left arm is about a quarter of the length with just the one little finger now. We just love her so much and hope that she will be able to do as much as Justin's brother. I am so glad that we knew before hand because it made it much easier but sometimes when I am holding her I am overcome with what challenges might be in store for this sweet little girl. I am still so grateful for all of the prayers on our behalf. It has made it much easier. We are just thankful that she is dong well!
It's kind of hard to see but this is the best pic I have of her fingers before they removed it. It was the finger closest to her body that they took off.

3 comments:

Justin and Coralie said...

I didn't realize that at all... I'm glad everything went well though. She's a perfect baby and she's so blessed to have such a wonderful family and support system for when those trials come. She is a very loved baby.

Alexis said...

Luckily everything went well with the delivary. And just remember what a great Mom Ava has to help her be the best that she can be. She will be such an example to everyone that she comes into contact with. And I am sure that your sister gave her plenty of kisses before she left heaven, she is adorable.

Mandi said...

I can't wait for her thighs to be chubby like Kinley's. She's on her way!